Saturday, September 30, 2006

September 30

REFLECTION FOR TODAY

Negative or unpleasant emotions are not a yardstick of reality, or of self-worth. Because I feel shame, for instance, does not mean I should be ashamed of myself. Because I feel panic does not necessarily mean there is something to be afraid of. Feelings may have no external or intellectual significance. Feelings are meant to be experienced and accepted, not analyzed. All I can conclude from feeling bad is that I am feeling bad. I realize that emotions are neither good nor bad, that feelings do not make me a good or bad person, that emotions and intellect are separate. Trying to "interpret" the intellectual meaning of my emotions is useless - like trying to spell words but using only numbers.

MEDITATION FOR TODAY

Help me to accept my feelings without judging them or myself.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

My best strategy in dealing with unpleasant emotions is simple acceptance.

Emotions Anonymous, Order Today

No comments: