Wednesday, September 06, 2006

September 6

REFLECTION FOR TODAY

So often I have read expressions in twelve-step literature like, "No one can hurt me unless I let them," or "When you resent someone you become their slave," or that "Anger is deadly for dependent people." When I heard those expressions, I interpreted them to mean that if I felt these feelings, I was not working my program. I used what I had heard to simply shut down my feelings. I have come to see that any feelings I bury will come out somewhere. If feelings do not come out straight, they end up doing me, and possibly others, more harm in the long run. Today I interpret those expressions to mean I do not want to "hang on" to the pain of those feelings, but I need to be honest with myself and another person if I want to go on functioning in a healthy way.

MEDITATION FOR TODAY

I ask that You help me to face my feelings honestly and share them with another human being.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Avoiding feelings is not a sign of either wellness or of working the program.

Emotions Anonymous, Order Today

No comments: