Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July 5

REFLECTION FOR TODAY

Love makes me vulnerable. When I love someone, I grow close to him or her. This person can see my soft spots and knows what hurts me. I have hurt so much already I do not want to hurt anymore, so I start to back off, hoping if I keep a safe distance I will cut down my chances of getting hurt. I also limit my chances of finding intimate relationships. I could end up living in a superficial, noncommittal environment where caring and sharing would only be words. Being close to someone is a risk, but it is also a delight. The person who knows what really hurts me is also the person who knows what makes me happy and how to put a sparkle in my eye, a spring in my step, and a song in my heart. The distance I keep between myself and my loved ones keeps out hurt but also keeps out joy.

MEDITATION FOR TODAY

Give me the courage to get close enough to take a change getting joy into my life.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

I can keep out hurt, but I can also keep out joy.

No comments: